Although this two-story adobe is generally recognized as the headquarters of John C. Fremont, the memoirs of Fremont and Lt. William T. Sherman confirm that the title is a misnomer. Their notes show that when he came to Monterey, he encamped on a hill at the end of town. Map.
Actual ownership of the little adobe has been traced through several Monterey families. In 1861 it was sold by Antonio Maria Vasquez and his wife, Asuncion Boronda Vasquez, for $200. By the late 1800s it was the family home of Crisimo Castro, who came to Monterey during the Gold Rush period.
When the government purchased the property for post office expansion, the Monterey History and Art Association bought the building and a minimum of land in 1960. Now, carefully restored, it is leased for appropriate uses.
Location: 539 Hartnell Street