This attractive adobe was probably built around 1852 by the original grantee, Francisco Pinto, on land that was assessed at $7.50 in 1850.
After passing through several owners, in 1862 it became the home of Jose de la Torre, youngest son of the old Spanish-born soldier, Jose Joaquin de la Torre. Several generations of the family dwelt here over a span of more than a half century.
Originally the adobe consisted of three rooms and an entrance hall. Several wooden lean-tos, which were added through the years, remain intact today. A large window was cut in the north wall by an artist owner for added light.
Today, the little adobe and its sheltered garden convey a sense of the flavor of old Monterey.
Location: 502 Pierce Street