Construction of this graceful adobe was begun in 1845 by Thomas O. Larkin. It was sold unfinished to Florencio Serrano, who completed the house following his marriage to the daughter of Don Joaquin de la Torre. They raised a very large family there and several generations of the Serrano family called the adobe home. Map.
Casa Serrano has a special significance in California's early history because it served as one of the first schools after the U.S. Flag was flown over the Custom House in 1846. Florencio Serrano succeeded Walter Colton as the second alcalde of Monterey. He established a private school and taught Spanish. After losing his eyesight, by relaying on his phenomenal memory and help from his daughter, he was able to continue teaching. The Serrano family lived in the adobe at the same time it served as a school.
The Monterey History and Art Association purchased Casa Serrano in 1959, completely restored it and filled it with beautiful antique furnishings and historic items to share with visitors. The Association holds its Board meetings there, as well as special community events.
Location: 412 Pacific Street. Open to the public Saturdays and Sundays 2 to 4 PM